Monday, May 19, 2008

Dinner Inspired

When hanging out with one of my mama friend at the park, we have been in the habit of stopping to have a Peasant Pie. H always eats half of mine and could probably eat a whole one if I remembered to buy two. They recently had a special of cauliflower, leek, and fennel with blue cheese which both H & I LOVED. I thought that all those vegetables should be paired up more often as they are in season together and are a bit sweetish and go quite nicely with salty/tangy blue cheese. So I tried to recreate the mood of this pie with a casserole, held together with some eggs. Here's what I came up with that was pretty nice (although never as good for me as something someone else has made).


Ingredients: Bulb of fennel, 3 leeks, half head of cauliflower (I used a whole head and the vegetable ratio was off), 6 eggs, some milk, oil of your choice for sautéing, salt, 4ish oz blue cheese, bread crumbs and parmesan. Saute leeks, add chopped fennel, add cauliflower and some water, cover until cauliflower is soft, stir blue cheese in, poor into greased baking dish, poor scrambled eggs/milk mixture over veggies, top with bread crumbs and grated parm. Bake at 350 for more than 20 minutes but probably not more than 40 (I accidentally turned the oven off midway through so I' not a good judge of how long). We ate with peas since they were quick and easy and on hand. Pretty nice.

No comments: