Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Backtracking - my first sewn project

Slowly getting around to uploading pictures, I wanted to share my first sewing project. Its an Old Navy womens (?) lambswool sweater in holiday colors that had been put in hot too many times. I picked it up at a thrift store, cut the arms off, cut the seams midway down the arms so that they could become the legs, seamed the front and back and rolled a waist band with elastic, then lanolized it (that is added lanolin back to the wool to help make it less likely to absorb). Here H is sportin it over a fitted pair of training pants.



Its not too bad considering I've never sewn anything in my life and a sweater is pretty difficult material to work with for you first time out. If you were to look closely you could see spots where I missed and gaping holes and the spots where I sewed over an area way to often trying to get my seams correct. But I rather like it despite that fact.


Since I found the sweater I really wanted to get it done in time for Christmas because of the colors. And I got it done, yea! Here's to tossing paralyzing perfectionist tendencies out! And just getting the damn thing done, whatever that damn thing may be!

Oh yea, I also got the dream swatch headband (shown above, H is playing with it) done in time for Christmas as well. But I'll save that little knitting post for another time.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It looks great! How is it for nighttime?

Thystle said...

I don't know; we haven't tried it for night time. He's still a heavy pee-er (word?) at night so I'll change the cloth diaper when I come to bed with him and then I leave him with just a disposable on so we have a little skin on skin coziness. And it's a bit of a trim fit, so I don't think I could put enough diaper in there to hold the first pee of the evening. I've got a few other recycled sweater ideas up my sleeve that I would like to try though.