Friday, September 19, 2008

September Sewing

So as I was finishing up THE sweater, I decided that I was too far behind in sewing and decided that I should make September all about sewing. It turns out that its National Sewing Month. How appropriate is that!
Waistband Detail


Back Pocket Details

Also, fortuitously Oliver + S came out with their Fall line which includes some little boy clothes! Yeah! Not a huge selection - a pair of pants plus instructions for making freezer paper design on a t-shirt, and a unisex pair of pajamas. I got both sets of patterns. I did the pants (sandbox pants) for H. I love, love, love them. I love working from a pattern. My mind is too discombobulated to concentrate on sewing without a pattern. I also made a little drawstring type of bag for my sister to put her clothes pins in and I messed up something as simple as that. So, yes, patterns are good for my current state of mind. The pants have both elastic and drawstring (love that combo) and the pockets are lined with contrasting fabric as is the waistband. The lined pockets are nice but you can't see them so getting fancy with the fabric patterns probably isn't necessary. I used a pair of my old beloved pajama bottoms as fabric. I ripped them at the crotch beyond repair so ripped the seams and reused the panels. They were from the Gap and the tag said they were from Holiday '01 line. They even have little red paint stains from when we painted our office "confederate red" (doesn't everyone paint their house in their pajamas?) . I love the fact that my son's pants have these little reminders of were they came from. And lastly I wanted to beam with pride that I did my first buttonholes as well. Read the manual and went to town. Easy peasy! I loved how they turned out - they look so comfortable. However, the sizing might be a bit off. The inseam seemed a bit short. I made the size 2. Also, H recently moved out of diapers much to my surprise, so the crotch is very low because rise is too big, as is all of his pants now. I haven't tried the pants on him with a diaper so they might be too short once the rise is accounted for. Here are some photos with H wearing them out and about at the aquarium.
Bopping His Head on the Tunnel

Pants Pockets

Finished Pants

Cuff Detail

Back of Pants

2 comments:

Katia said...

Oh my god Rebecca! I'm so impressed. These are gorgeous. Can you make a pair for me? And a pair for Luci? :)
Love that smiling pic of Hunter.
xo
k

Stacy said...

Thanks so much for the link to your blog from SMS. It was great to see the pants on a little one. My little guy also wears a 2T, so I'll measure that rise before sewing them for him. BTW, I am surrently sitting in a pair of pajama pants that I wore to paint our bedroom in, so maybe everyone does wear pajamas to paint in! LOL! (I do have other pj's that have paint stains also.) Great job on those pants!