Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cookies

I made my Banana Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies from 101 Cookbooks Blog. Very tasty. There were three things that set it apart from your typical Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. One was whole wheat pastry flour. Heidi says you can use regular all-purpose flour if you don't have whole wheat pastry. Well, I had white pastry and all-purpose whole wheat. So I wasn't sure which to use and ended up using the white pastry. I once looked up what the difference was between all-pupose, pastry and bread flour but have since forgotten. The result of using the white pastry - well I couldn't really tell a difference from a regular chocolate chip cookie recipe.


Chocolate & Banana Chip Cookies

It also called for (toasted) wheat germ. I wasn't sure if that meant you should buy pre-toasted wheat germ (like toasted sesame oil) or toast your own wheat germ. I assumed the later and promptly burned the heck out of mine. Second try I took it out of toaster oven early. I loved the chewiness that it added to the cookies. So much that I want to try them again with whole wheat flour as well. I like whole wheat in general but typically don't LOVE whole wheat. But the wheat germ, mmm-mmm. So wanna go all the way for the chewiness factor.


Finally, it called for banana chips coarsely chopped. This is what was supposed to make the cookies. It also called for nuts, which I don't care for in my cookies so increased the banana chips. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I think its good but not stellar. I sideways step in the evolution of the chocolate chip cookie - not better or worse just different. I will probably make them again. How's that?

No comments: